Busiest Mailing Day of the Year
The USPS recently announced that today is the busiest day of the year estimating a 40% increase compared to typical daily volume (today would be a great day to skip the trip to the Post Office by using free USPS carrier pickup). We thought this might be a good day to share some other interesting postal facts published by the Post Office.
- Average mail volume is 559 million mail pieces per day
- On Monday, December 20th, the USPS estimates they will process 800 million mail pieces (40% increase compared to average mail volume)
- 40 percent of the world’s mail volume is process by the USPS
- The USPS uses over 218,000 vehicles to transport mail in the United States making their delivery fleet the largest civilian fleet in the world
- The Post Office with the highest elevation is 10,500 feet above sea level in Leadville, CO
- The lowest elevation for a Post Office is 190 feet below sea level in Mecca, CA
- The most isolated Post Office is in Anaktuvuk Pass, AK. All mail must be flown in. Unlike other carriers, there is no rural surcharge when shipping with the USPS.
Click here for more interesting postal facts.