USPS Announces New Postage Rates for 2014
The U.S. Postal Service has submitted their 2014 mailing and shipping rates to the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC). If approved by the PRC, the new postage rates will start on Sunday, January 26, 2014.
New USPS Products for 2014:
- The USPS has proposed a new First Class letter rate for the “Metered Mail” category, including postage meters and online postage. This new rate would be $0.48 — $0.01 below the proposed price of $0.49 for Stamped letter mail.
- Priority Mail Express will now be offering a new 10:30 a.m. delivery time option for a $5.00 fee.
- A new “Zone 9” delivery zone is being introduced to represent U.S. territories and freely associated states (Micronesia, Marshall Islands, and Palau) for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express.
- A fee of $0.20 per package will be assessed on any package that does not have an Intelligent Mail Package Barcode on the shipping label. Note: All shipping labels printed from Stamps.com automatically include the Intelligent Mail Package Barcode if you include USPS Tracking.
- Priority Mail International: The maximum weight for Rate Group 2 (Mexico) has been increased to 70 lbs. from 44 lbs.
- Commercial Plus Pricing: The minimum annual package volume threshold for cubic pricing and other Commercial Plus offerings will be lowered to 50,000 packages.
First Class Letters & Postcards
For First Class letters and postcards, the USPS has requested a special “exigent” rate increase for 2014. This “exigent” request is seeking a postage rate increase above the Consumer Price Index (CPI). By law, the USPS is not allowed to increase postage rates above the CPI for the “Market Dominant” mail classes (letters, postcards, Media Mail, etc.). Also new for 2014, the USPS has proposed a new discounted rate for letters and postcards where the postage is printed from a Postage Meter or Online Postage service such as Stamps.com.
Priority Mail Express
USPS pricing for Priority Mail Express will increase an average of 3.0% in 2014.
Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes
For Priority Mail Express Flat Rate, Flat Rate Envelope prices will not be increasing for 2014. Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Boxes will be increasing by $5.00 in 2014.
The USPS has not announced the average overall increase for 2014 Priority Mail rates yet. However, in some weight ranges and zones, the prices will be reduced compared to 2013.
Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes
The USPS has not announced the average overall increase for Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes yet. However, in some weight ranges and zones for Regional Rate Box B, the prices will be reduced compared to 2013.
Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes
For Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes and Envelopes, rates will not be increasing for 2014 except for the Small Flat Rate Box and the Large Flat Rate Box (regular and APO/FPO).
Prices for Parcel Select, the U.S. Postal Service’s bulk ground shipping product, will increase an average of 5.9% in 2014. Note: In 2, 3 and 4 lbs, rates in some shipping zones are being reduced in 2014 compared to 2013.
First Class Package Service
First Class Package Service will see an average increase of 5.0% in 2014.
Media Mail rates will see an average increase of 6.3% in 2014.
- The overall increase for First Class Package International Service will be 0.8%. Note: Commercial Base (online postage) prices WILL NOT be increasing in 2014.
- The overall increase for Priority Mail International will be 1.1%.
- The overall increase for Priority Mail Express International will be 1.3%.
- The overall increase for Global Express Guaranteed will be 3.0%.
Stamps.com Will Automatically Include New Rates on January 26, 2014
Stamps.com makes it easy to prepare for the postal rate change by automatically applying these new prices starting on Sunday, January 26, 2014. Additionally, Stamps.com customers will continue to receive Commercial Base pricing discounts to help lower your shipping costs in 2014.