USPS Announces Postage Rate Decrease – Starts April 10, 2016
What Are The Changes?
Here is a summary of the April 2016 postage rate updates:
– First Class Mail Letters (1 oz.) rates will decrease from $0.49 to $0.47 when purchased at the Post Office. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
– The discounted “Metered Mail” category for First Class Mail Letters (1 oz.), which includes online postage providers and postage meters, will decrease from $0.485 to $0.465. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
– First Class Mail Flats (1 oz.) will decrease from $0.98 to $0.94. Each additional ounce will cost $0.21.
– Postcard rates will decrease from $0.35 to $0.34.
– First Class Mail – Parcels available at the Post Office will also see a decrease and rates will start at $2.45 (previously $2.54) for a 1 oz. package.
Important: While the Commercial Base rate for First Class Package Service for mailpieces weighing between 1 and 3 ounces is $2.60, Stamps.com has incorporated the lower Post Office pricing into its program! So, instead of paying $2.60 for a 1 ounce package, Stamps.com customers will only need to pay $2.45. To get this discount, Stamps.com customers must download Version 13.3.
– Media Mail rates will start at $2.61 instead of $2.72 for a 1 lb. package.
Why Are USPS Rates Decreasing?
The 4.3% exigent surcharge that was granted to the USPS by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) in January 2014 is being lifted. This temporary postage rate increase was granted to help the USPS recoup the losses it encountered during the recession. Since these losses are estimated to have been recouped by April, the USPS is implementing a postage rate decrease.
No Action Needed For Stamps.com Customers
Stamps.com will automatically update all USPS rates inside the software and web-based version (Stamps.com Online) on Sunday, April 10, 2016. If you are a Stamps.com customer, no additional actions are needed and you will see the new reduced USPS rates automatically.
Special Note: If you want the discounted metered mail rate of $0.465 for First Class Mail Letters (1 oz.) and lower $2.45 Post Office rate for First Class Mail – Parcels weighing 1-3 ounces, make sure to upgrade to Stamps.com Version 13.3.