New USPS Postage Rates Start on Sunday, April 17
The U.S. Postal Service will be increasing postage rates this Sunday, April 17, 2011. The good news is Stamps.com’s software and online postage program have been updated to reflect and calculate the new USPS rates. So if you’re a Stamps.com mailing and shipping customer, there’s no need to worry about the new postage rates and you can continue to do business as usual.
Summary of April 2011 Postage Rate Increase
While Priority Mail®, Express Mail® and 1-ounce First Class Mail® rates will remain the same, Media Mail®, Parcel Post® and several other postage values will be changing. The USPS will also be introducing Commercial Base prices for First Class Mail® Packages, which brings new savings for Stamps.com customers.
Here’s a summary of the April 2011 USPS postage rate changes to bring you up to speed:
- First Class Mail Letters will remain at $0.44 for the first ounce; each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.20 (previously $0.17).
- First Class Mail Flats will remain at $0.88; each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.20 (previously $0.17).
- Retail (aka Post Office) rates for First Class Mail Packages will start at $1.71 (previously $1.22). This will be the rate for the first three ounces; each additional ounce will cost 17 cents.
- Postcard rates will be $0.29 (previously $0.28).
- Parcel Post rates will start at $5.10 (previously at $4.90).
- Media Mail rates will start at $2.41 (previously at $2.38).
- Prices will also increase for certain special services such as Certified Mail™, Registered Mail™ and Signature Confirmation™.
- First Class Mail International rates will also be increasing. Letter prices will increase for Canada and Mexico by an average of $0.06. Flat prices will increase for all country groups by an average of $0.53. Package prices will increase for all country groups by an average of $0.78.
- The USPS will not increase rates for Priority Mail and Express Mail in April 2011 as these rates were changed in the January 2011 rate change.
Save with new Commercial Base pricing for First Class Mail Packages
As you may know, Stamps.com customers receive discounted postage rates based on a program from the USPS known as Commercial Base pricing. With this new postage rate increase on April 17, Commercial Base pricing will be introduced for First Class Mail Packages. Stamps.com users will now receive discounts up to 8% on First Class Mail Packages compared to Post Office rates. If you take the time to compare Commercial Base pricing to the new Post Office rates, the discounts range from up to 15% on Priority Mail and up to 21% on Express Mail.
As always, you can count on Stamps.com for savings and cost-effective software. Enjoy!